s
Labor's Plan to Tackle Homelessness: Insights from Those Who Know Best
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
The 2025 election has concluded, and now it’s up to Labor to fulfill their campaign pledges aimed at tackling homelessness.
It's high time action was taken regarding homelessness. Affordable housing options remain scarce and public and community housing waitlists keep growing.
The crisis stems from years of government policy failures In numerous regions, homelessness is associated with poverty, stigmatization, violence, and inadequate health.
Labor has promised to:
- build more affordable housing
- reduce social housing waitlists
- give priority to communities at risk of becoming homeless
- allocate A$1.2 billion for housing homeless individuals.
This is certainly positive, however, it's essential that individuals with firsthand experience of homelessness be included in shaping policies and services. After all, they are the true experts.
Our recent research engaged in conversations with 47 individuals who have present or previous encounters with homelessness in Victoria and South Australia. This research was collaboratively designed and jointly led by those who have lived through homelessness.
See us, hear us
The participants informed us that their viewpoints are not appreciated. One mentioned:
People experiencing homelessness are often disrespected. Their worth as an individual is overlooked. Various factors lead them to tough circumstances. Others may quickly stereotype and label them.
Another said:
Have we got a say? No, we haven't, because they don't care [...] they aren't listening.
Numerous individuals aimed to shape policy and service creation. Someone commented:
I believe it's crucial for individuals like ourselves [...] to have input into how we progress, rather than having it come from those in expensive suits [...] who lack real-world experience.
Respect our expertise
Individuals who have faced homelessness can "recognize aspects that someone without such firsthand experience might not even consider initially," as one person shared with us.
They ought to participate as employees and leaders in the realms of service design and delivery. A participant mentioned:
I believe that if there were individuals who had firsthand experiences and could reach out to people like me back then, they might tell us, "Listen, buddy, you don't have to follow this route; you aren't bound to lead this type of existence—there's an alternative approach."
A participant who had faced domestic abuse mentioned that maneuvering through the various nonprofit organizations was complex. She found that decisions were being made without including her input.
When they couldn't secure accommodation for this woman, it ultimately resulted in her children being taken away.
Service delivery should prioritize respect. A participant mentioned hearing staff members complain about the odor associated with homeless individuals. Another expressed a desire for useful guidance from those who have personally gone through homelessness.
Hiring somebody who has personally experienced homelessness and can consequently explain what navigation systems entail for individuals entering these services might be an incredibly beneficial approach in the field of homelessness assistance.
Assigning worth and compensating individuals with experience of homelessness for their knowledge is crucial. As one participant noted:
During a panel discussion alongside CEOs from various homeless organizations, I was unexpectedly asked an hour prior whether I would serve as the representative for those with firsthand experiences. Did I receive equal compensation? Absolutely not. Was I afforded the same level of respect as others present? Not at all. Adequate preparation time? None provided. However, despite these shortcomings, I managed to perform effectively. My contribution demonstrated that my knowledge and insights are every bit as valuable as anyone else's expertise within this field.
Another said:
It's crucial to gather as broad an array of life experiences as you can; otherwise, it would be somewhat futile if everyone involved is around 30 years old and Caucasian.
From prison to homelessness
Approximately fifty percent of individuals released from incarceration exit into homelessness .
A lot of women in such scenarios face the difficult choice between becoming homeless or going back to volatile environments.
Community organizations strive diligently to ensure women have homes, yet this endeavor necessitates adequate and ongoing funding .
A previously imprisoned woman shared with us:
Imprisonment leads to homelessness […] upon release, they find themselves in an emptiness […] Were I in their shoes, I would undoubtedly prefer being behind bars instead of living on the streets.
Another said:
Many incarcerated women have experienced childhood sexual abuse, endured domestic violence, and gone through significant trauma… however, somehow, all of this gets overlooked once we're released.
Individuals who have experienced homelessness are ideally suited to lead the creation and implementation of services, providing practical answers and innovative solutions.
One participant told us:
When I left the hospital, one of the community workers mentioned, "We could arrange for you to stay at a hotel for four nights." To which I replied, "What I really need most are four new tires for my van." They responded, "Unfortunately, we cannot provide that assistance." New tires would actually cost less than staying at a hotel. However, they insisted, "Sorry, we aren’t able to help with that." Throughout this experience, I've maintained that effective solutions don't necessarily look good, but they must function properly.
People informed us that a one-size-fits-all, checkbox mentality wouldn't be effective because:
Not everyone falls into these categories. People find themselves in various situations.
Another said:
When you visit a service provider, they aren't concerned with your objective. They couldn't care less about your aim. All they're interested in is whether they have delivered the service they were required to provide?
A number of services are not functioning properly for those who are homeless. As one participant mentioned:
The reason I remained without a home was that I had to choose between putting down my dog or giving him away, but I just couldn't bring myself to do either since he saved me. Thus, I resided in my vehicle. During this period, despite being cold myself, I shared all the blankets with my dog. Unfortunately, he became very ill... Eventually, I reached out to another organization asking them to send me a sleeping bag and a tent. They were dispatched to an agency which failed to hand these items over to me.
What now?
Our research participants called for policy tackling poverty with the aim of including viewpoints from individuals who have experienced homelessness:
- incorporated into policies for housing and homelessness, as well as service design and implementation
- acknowledged, appreciated, and appropriately compensated
- involved in leading research.
The authors extend their gratitude to those with firsthand experience of homelessness who guided our research efforts.
The study conducted by Robyn Martin received financial support from the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute. This project involved a partnership among RMIT, UniSA, the Council for HomelessPersons, and Seeds of Affinity.
Carole Zufferey’s study was supported financially by the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute and involved a partnership among RMIT, UniSA, the Council for HomelessPersons, and Seeds of Affinity.
The study conducted by Michele Jarldorn received financial support from the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute. This project involved a partnership among RMIT, UniSA, the Council for HomelessPersons, and Seeds of Affinity. Michele volunteers with Seeds of Affinity and holds the position of chairperson on their board. It’s worth noting that Seeds of Affinity operates without any sustained funding sources.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment