s
Friday Essay: Inside the Surprising Challenge of Spotting Racism as a Sensitivity Reader
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
If I were to ask you to imagine a racist, I'm certain you would have a clear image in your mind. You'd likely think of a Ku Klux Klan member wearing a white hood, or perhaps someone shouting hateful slurs, or maybe even an individual glorifying slavery.
The truth is that racism and troublesome expressions are far more subtle and intricate than this " cartoon-like ", the mustachio-twirling villain archetype. Racism stems from the misportrayal of marginalized groups.
I serve as a cultural sensitivity reviewer. In this position, I review literary works Before publication, checking for possibly offensive material, stereotypes, and biases.
In my work, I seldom encounter narratives that promote overt racism. Rather, my primary responsibility is to assist authors in developing complex, authentic depictions of Indigenous people that steer clear of unfavorable stereotypes and instead highlight their fortitude and perseverance.
Secondly, my role involves reducing the continued spread of damaging misconceptions in literature that has adversely affected Indigenous communities for an extended period.
What's the reason behind conducting sensitivity reads?
As a Barkindji woman, I have always been highly conscious, since I was young, of literature that misrepresents my culture or portrays Blackness as negative or "Othered."
I enjoyed Enid Blyton’s fantasy novels. Yet, I recall as a young reader being troubled when white characters worried about getting soot on their faces because they didn’t want to appear dark and "unattractive" (I won't repeat the derogatory term they employed). Numerous tales depict my Aboriginal identity either as lacking at best or outright monstrous at worst.
Such stories shape individuals' perspectives and convictions about Indigenous communities.
For example, I will always recall participating in an event for a scholarship I received. During our chat, a Caucasian lady questioned me about my heritage. Upon informing her that I am Indigenous, she promptly grasped my arm and declared, "Oh dear, never allow that to hinder your progress!"
As a cultural sensitivity reader, my role is to counteract that kind of deficit narrative. Clearly, this woman hadn’t encountered the resilience that has existed within our community from ancient times.
When diving into a new piece of writing, my aim is to guide non-Aboriginal authors aiming to surpass what previous generations have achieved.
When you read, what should you be looking out for?
I explore various elements of a piece starting with its themes and ponder thoroughly over the implications of every word.
To illustrate my point, let me explore portrayals where an Aboriginal woman is consistently depicted as unjustifiably aggressive. Such stereotypes have frequently been employed to downplay the perspectives of Indigenous women when tackling significant matters impacting our community. Consequently, this allows us to be easily disregarded and overlooked with a casual remark like, "She seems very agitated and furious, doesn't she?"
This perception of Blackness as "threatening and enraged" can be lethal (though certainly not in a positive sense) within systems such as law enforcement and the judicial system.
As someone who reviews content for cultural sensitivity, I highlight the historical implications behind terms that might seem harmless at first glance, such as "half-caste." This term embodies a racially prejudiced ideology rooted in the notion of quantifying one’s heritage through bloodlines—a legacy of oppressive practices including assimilation and the White Australia policy.
Several frequent clichés often catch my attention.
Then there’s the clichéd "Black-cent," where nearly every sentence from an Indigenous character includes the term “Deadly!” Alternatively, each Indigenous individual supposedly possesses some sort of ethereal bond with nature.
These stereotypes might appear somewhat amusing up to a certain extent, but they remain stereotypes nevertheless.
Next come those portrayals that lack humor. The depictions where Indigenous people are portrayed solely as alcoholics. And the representations where they are shown as inherently furious and violent offenders.
Tropes I’m glad to be seeing less of are the portrayal of Indigenous characters as inherently ugly and/or unintelligent.
This is the portrayal of Australia that we have accepted as fact. That’s precisely why I’m deeply invested in this project—supporting dedicated writers who genuinely strive for accurate representation.
A cleaned-up account of Australia’s past
Failing to discuss or analyze the consequences of these terrible policies negatively affects both Indigenous communities and the manner in which white Australians perceive them. view Indigenous peoples.
We need to challenge this stance. It falls upon writers to courageously educate others about the true story of Australian history, regardless of any unease it may cause.
I share this understanding and critique with non-Aboriginal writers, ensuring I highlight how subtler forms of racism continue to silently persist and distort representations of Indigenous Australian culture.
Am I suppressing these authors? Could this be restricting their ability to convey their perspectives and opinions regarding Aboriginal culture, regardless of whether they are negative? After all, isn’t everyone entitled to their own viewpoint?
Censorship vs sensitivity
Many non-Aboriginal writers arrange for a cultural sensitivity review as they aim to avoid perpetuating damaging portrayals of Indigenous Australians. This precaution is often necessary when these authors lack affiliation with or connection to the communities they write about.
If cultural sensitivity readings are overlooked or ignored, the outcomes can be catastrophic.
This became quite evident last year with Jamie Oliver’s children’s book This narrative reinforced certain stereotypes I have discussed and demonstrated a clear misunderstanding of the intricate nature of devastating historical occurrences such as the Stolen Generations.
Jeanine Leane, who is a Wiradjuri author and academic, has emphasised the importance By non-Indigenous writers choosing to seek out and listen to Indigenous peoples and communities:
Without understanding us, our histories, and our tales, it's impossible to 'write' an Aboriginal story.
In order to effectively fulfill your role as a writer, it’s essential to research topics you're not familiar with.
Fiction authors who specialize in crime frequently consult actual detectives to ensure their depictions of law enforcement activities are authentic within their stories. Conducting cultural sensitivity reviews is another form of research that all proficient writers ought to pursue.
In today’s conversations about proper representation, whenever we talk about negative portrayals of our own groups, we often encounter the powerful argument of "Freedom of Speech! You shouldn't silence me for expressing my personal views!"
My reaction to this can be explained in two parts:
1. The right to free speech does not imply immunity from repercussions.
I can share my thoughts with the writers. But if they choose not to listen, that's their call, sweetheart.
And hate speech does not qualify as free speech. Like philosopher and social critic Karl Popper argued, said ,
The tolerant do not bear the responsibility to tolerate those who exhibit intolerance towards others.
Simply tolerating such hateful rhetoric endangers the human rights of marginalized communities.
Should storytellers choose to assert their entitlement to deliberately disseminate false information that persistently adversely affects Indigenous communities, we retain our prerogative to pass judgment. We maintain our ability to highlight errors and counteract misleading portrayals.
2. Aren't you eager to pen down what really happened?
Certain terms highlight the reality of Australia’s Black history and the experiences of Indigenous people, whereas others gloss over, downplay, distort, or outright reject this challenging past.
For example, the British didn’t "colonise" Australia; they conquered it.
When Aboriginal children were taken from their families, they weren't "rescued" and educated by missionaries; instead, these children faced violence and sexual abuse at the hands of the clergy and were denied educational opportunities.
Representing the truth is far from insensitive when narrating tales of colonialism.
Moving forward
Considering Australia’s past with misinformation and censorship, ensuring precision via a cultural sensitivity review does not restrict a writer’s creative freedom. Instead, it provides them with my insights and expertise as an Indigenous queer individual, which they have requested from me.
As writers, editors, readers, and cultural sensitivity experts, it falls upon us to collaborate effectively, carefully selecting the words we choose to hear and those we disseminate into the world.
It is our duty to promote honesty in everything we undertake and produce fairer, more balanced portrayals of Indigenous people that highlight their resilience and culture.
Allanah Hunt does not have any employment, consulting relationships, share ownership, or financial support from companies or organizations that stand to gain from this article. She has declared no additional interests apart from her academic position.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment