s
Fly Like a Pro: My Top 10 Travel Tips from a Decade in the Air
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
- Over my ten-year tenure as a flight attendant I discovered methods to enhance travel and make it smoother.
- I suggest reaching out to hotels directly and asking for reduced prices, as this approach has been successful for me.
- Simple tips, such as avoiding checked luggage, have helped me save time at the airport.
I served as an air hostess For ten years. Even after resigning from my position, I kept exploring different parts of the globe and have visited over 74 nations.
Having jet-setted around the world both professionally and for fun, I've picked up some tips on making my trips as smooth and pleasant as can be.
Below are 10 pieces of advice I picked up from my time as a flight attendant and continue to utilize whenever I travel.
Remain alert till your scheduled sleep time on the day you reach a new time zone.
Following an all-night flight, I often feel inclined to dive right into my hotel bed. Yet, considering my experience of immediately going to sleep post-landing only to grapple with timezone adjustments later, I suggest resisting that urge and stay awake instead.
My old policy was to allow myself a brief snooze if my flight touched down before noon; however, if I got in anytime past midday, I would push through the day without sleeping until nightfall.
Battling through the entire first day till bedtime assists me in acclimating to a new time zone, ensuring I achieve the most optimal sleep possible. beat jet lag .
Once it's time to catch some Zs, make certain to set an alarm to ensure you don't oversleep into the afternoon.
Leave behind your checked luggage and choose only a carry-on instead.
When I was a flight attendant, I got into the habit of traveling with just a carry-on a suitcase along with a tote bag.
This approach enables me to keep my possessions always close and reduces the chance of loss. losing luggage Halfway across the globe. By traveling with just a carry-on, I manage to bypass lengthy check-in queues and save time instead of hanging around at baggage claim.
Many airlines permit travellers to bring one carry-on item along with a handbag or compact backpack onto the plane, yet it’s advisable to review their baggage regulations prior to heading to the terminal.
If you're trying to pack everything in a carry-on, I suggest freeing up space in your bag by wearing larger items, like coats and boots, on the plane.
Place a shoe inside your hotel safe as a reminder for all valuable items.
Exiting a hotel only to remember that you've left your most precious belongings securely locked away can be absolutely dreadful.
To prevent this error, try my straightforward approach: when depositing all your belongings and papers into the hotel safe, include one of your shoes as well—ideally, one you plan to wear on checkout day.
It’s unlikely you'll exit the hotel with just one shoe on, so this method serves as an effective reminder to clear out the safe before checking out.
When I started as a flight attendant, one of my fellow team members shared this initial tip with me. It proved extremely useful, and since then, I have shared it with numerous other staff members and travelers throughout the years.
When checking a suitcase, consider purchasing a luggage tracker along with using packing cubes.
Travelers who use checked baggage find portable trackers and packing cubes to be revolutionary tools.
If only portable tracking devices such as Apple AirTags had been available during my time as a flight attendant! These handy little gadgets can be easily inserted into your luggage to assist with locating lost suitcases.
Packing cubes were my best companion when I had to carry many things during extended journeys.
The compartments created by these cubes allow you to section off different items and maintain order. When searching for something specific within your luggage, they significantly cut down the time spent rummaging through everything.
Check out last-minute jet charters; they could end up being more affordable than expected.
Flying private It might appear as a luxurious choice (which it typically is), yet private jets can turn out to be quite cost-effective based on your destination — particularly when sharing the expense with others.
Numerous aviation firms provide reduced rates for charter flights with short notice, particularly when an aircraft needs to travel unoccupied between destinations. To make use of this extra leg, businesses aim to book seats at a discount just before takeoff. You can find advertisements for these vacant segments frequently posted online by operators like Lux Aviator and Daflo Jets.
You have the option to reserve just one seat on a semi-private jet instead of needing to charter a whole plane through airlines such as this. Aero .
Before landing at your foreign destination, download a translation application.
Before your flight lands, download a translation app, like Google Translate, in the local language so you can use it offline.
I've found this advice particularly useful when travelling to areas where English isn't commonly used and internet connectivity can be hit-or-miss. Though the translation might not always be accurate, the app still assists in conveying your intended message effectively.
I suggest downloading currency converter apps before your arrival as they can be used even when offline.
Reach out to the hotels straightaway to inquire about obtaining the best room rate.
Many individuals believe that hotel-booking platforms offer the best deals. cheapest accommodation prices However, this isn't always true. Should you wish to remain at a particular hotel, contact the establishment directly via phone or email to inquire about obtaining a lower rate.
I've been impressed by how often this advice has proven effective for me. Occasionally, it has even secured me an upgrade to a better room category.
For travelers intent on getting a restful night's sleep, call the hotel and request a room that's in a different part of the hotel than the pool or entertainment area.
Not every hotel provides an iron, but you can still get rid of wrinkles in your clothes even without one.
A lot of hotel rooms globally lack irons, which was far from ideal when I needed my flight attendant uniform to look immaculate and free of wrinkles.
To bypass the cost of an ironing service or sidestep the wait for a shared iron, I bring along a compact travel steamer to smooth out wrinkles in my clothing.
If you lack an iron, set the hair dryer in your hotel room to its highest heat setting and direct the airflow closely at your garments.
As an alternative, try hanging your clothes in the bathroom, turning the shower to its hottest setting, closing the door, and letting it sit for about ten minutes. Based on my personal experience, this method helps iron out wrinkles using the accumulated steam.
Bring sufficient medication for your journey, and pack additional supplies just in case of an emergency.
Simply because you can purchase specific over-the-counter and prescription drugs domestically does not guarantee their easy availability when traveling abroad.
Every time I prepare to fly I put together a fundamental travel kit containing an adequate amount of medication to last throughout my journey. Additionally, I suggest packing extra supplies just in case you misplace some or prolong your stay.
Be sure to thoroughly investigate the medication regulations in the locations you're traveling to, since certain drugs permissible in the US might be prohibited elsewhere.
Think about using a prepaid travel card to assist with adhering to your budget.
When I worked as a flight attendant, I would consistently receive an prepaid travel card , into which I deposited a fixed sum of money.
It assisted me in maintaining a stricter budget and enabled me to withdraw funds in the local currency.
When considering prepaid travel cards, be aware that they often include various fees. Ensure you thoroughly investigate before embarking on your journey. This will help you determine if a prepaid travel card, debit card, cash, or credit card suits your needs better.
The narrative first appeared in September 2022 and was last revised on May 6, 2025.
These are some of our top picks for packing cubes to use on your upcoming flight:
If you liked this tale, make sure to follow Business vtrik on MSN.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment