s
Could the Bruce Highway Upgrade Be Tying Queensland's Deadly Melioidosis Outbreak?
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Luke Bantoft knew he was dying.
It was the middle of March, and the 42-year-old type 1 diabetic had been experiencing a debilitating "domino effect" of symptoms after weeks of rain in Cairns.
“I experienced intense bouts of vomiting, extremely high fever and temperature spikes, along with insomnia. I completely lost my appetite but could manage to consume liquids; however, even those would come back up each time. This led to rapid dehydration. Additionally, I suffered from body paralysis and excruciating muscle pain,” he shared with 7.30.
A GP confirmed Luke was going into diabetic ketoacidosis, a life-threatening complication of diabetes where the body burns fat for energy and the blood becomes acidic.
But the real estate agent didn't know what had triggered it — his best guess was that he had food poisoning or dengue fever.
"They rushed me into the Cairns hospital, and I was in emergency probably 12 hours, and while they were doing all the different blood cultures I had fevers, I was shivering and vomiting and defecating and just everything was wrong," he said, describing his first moments in hospital.
Subsequently, they returned and mentioned wanting to perform a CT scan since they suspect some activity occurring internally; it was then that they discovered melioidosis in my lung.
I wasn’t aware of what it was, so I had to inquire with the doctors.
All I understood was that I was slipping away, and I didn't believe I would survive.
What ensued were 12 agonizing days marked by a desperate struggle for survival as his body combated the illness.
'Petrified' of returning home
Melioidosis is an uncommon contagious illness triggered by bacteria that are typically present in soils and waters of northern Australia and South-East Asia.
The infection spreads via open wounds or inhalation. It can be extremely dangerous if left untreated, and unfortunately, there is no available vaccine.
While cases are uncommon, they can occur during the wet season after heavy rain or flooding, and those with chronic health conditions such as diabetes, lung or kidney disease are most at risk of becoming sick.
People who get infected exhibit symptoms like fever, coughing, and trouble breathing. Without treatment, it may lead to serious conditions such as sepsis and ulcers, and can occasionally result in death.
Despite suffering through immense agony in the hospital, Luke mentioned that this physical distress was eclipsed by the emotional anguish he experienced from witnessing those around him succumb to the same fate.
"The second week I was hospitalized, two individuals passed away," he shared with 7.30.
I encountered a woman whose spouse had recently passed away due to melioidosis. Another woman I met had her partner in intensive care, looking quite grim.
And I also believe that if I weren’t diabetic, I wouldn’t have gone to the doctor initially, and I might likely be deceased now.
Luke is recuperating at his folks’ home in Palm Cove, too scared to go back to his house, certain that he inhaled the illness during a intense rainstorm.
“I’m not feeling well enough to head back home, and honestly, I’m terrified of returning because it’s somewhere nearby, though I can’t pinpoint exactly where,” he stated.
The sole hypothesis I possess is that since my property adjoins a creek, during rainfall—given that it’s a tidal creek—it occasionally generates a strong, earthy, muddy aroma.
That’s everything I can really clarify about where I might have acquired it from.
I'm not into gardening. Getting my hands dirty with soil isn’t for me. Plus, I only consume filtered water, so I haven't come close to being exposed to polluted water. Therefore, it must be spreading through the air.
The experience has made Luke strongly contemplate whether he should completely move away from tropical regions.
“I can’t fall ill again. I’m aware that the next time, luck won’t be on my side,” he stated.
Signs that could be mistaken for 'cancer or tuberculosis'
Luke is among the 218 confirmed cases of melioidosis reported this year, with 30 fatalities attributed to the disease.
Queensland Health stated that 90 percent were from either the Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service or the Townsville Hospital and Health Service region. This figure encompasses 11 individuals from the Ingham area as well.
Of all the cases, three-fourths were at least 50 years old, with the majority being above this age. Additionally, 95 percent of these cases exhibited recognized risk factors such as advanced age, diabetes, and/or chronic pulmonary conditions.
This represents a significant leap from earlier wet seasons—last year during this time frame, only 53 cases were documented across the state, resulting in 19 fatalities. The year before that saw just 34 cases reported.
A third of the 106 cases have resulted in admission to intensive care, which has strained the area's healthcare infrastructure.
Dr Simon Smith, a public health physician, referred to the impact as "heartbreaking," noting that they have had "an extremely busy three-month period at the hospital and within the infectious disease unit."
"As serious as it is, patients are incredibly ill and necessitate the care of several specialists," Dr Smith said to 7.30.
"Often people require the needs of an ICU physician and team, they also often have abscess in the prostate, or the liver, or the spleen that requires surgical intervention, so the surgeons can become very busy with that, and the treatment also consists of antibiotics through a drip for sometimes up to eight weeks."
In the Cairns and Hinterland health district, patients are followed up at home or in clinics for three to six months after being discharged.
"What a tremendous amount of work," Dr Smith commented.
He remains optimistic that the situation will improve after April, when the wet season ends, but he anticipates a secondary surge of patients to occur.
He states that between 15% and 20% of individuals who come to the hospital for treatment show signs of the illness turning chronic several months post-infection. According to him, these patients often possess robust immune systems but experience symptoms resembling those of cancer or tuberculosis.
"Those symptoms include fatigue, weight loss, and night sweats," he stated.
However, the real worry is that once the wet season returns in December and January, we'll see another significant surge in case numbers.
Can we attribute the issues to the new Bruce Highway?
The reasons behind the abrupt rise in melioidosis cases in Far North Queensland remain unclear.
But one theory — documented by Dr Smith and backed by other medical experts and scientists — centres around the staged Bruce Highway upgrade that runs almost 20 kilometres through the muddy plains south of Cairns.
The multi-billion-dollar project commenced in 2010, with more than a decade of construction works stirring up a clay-like soil believed to harbour the bacteria.
The available data paints a clear and rather bleak picture: since work began on the new road corridor, several clusters have popped up in suburbs on either side.
Doctor Smith is confident this isn't just luck.
"The obvious change has been in the environment," he stated.
There's a significant amount of roadwork happening in that urban-rural boundary area, and this is where most of the incidents are being reported.
Dr. Smith’s study highlighted a sharp increase in incidents during 2016 and 2017, averaging between 30 to 50 cases annually. This rise aligned with infrastructure developments such as roadwork projects and city growth, particularly the construction of new residential areas where sugar cane fields once stood.
In 2021, Dr Smith published his findings, mistakenly believing the illness had reached its peak.
"By far, this represents the highest count of cases we have observed since we began tracking these infections back in 1997," stated Dr. Smith.
"Back then, we'd get five to 10 cases."
The organization overseeing the project informed 7.30 that they were still receptive to input from Dr. Smith and his team of researchers, as they had previously held discussions with them following the publication of the report.
"If health inquiries verify that excavation activities contribute to the dissemination of soilborne pathogens leading to diseases, TMR will adopt suggestions from specialists to guarantee crucial roadway initiatives adhere to the strictest safety standards," stated a representative from Transport and Main Roads.
The Queensland government department contended that their "strict environmental protection measures" likewise minimized the chance of soil-transmitted illnesses spreading from construction sites.
Doctor Smith mentioned that it was premature to draw conclusions about the ongoing construction and highlighted that several other elements might be responsible for the surge in case numbers. These potential factors include characteristics of the illness itself.
"It’s possible the bacteria have undergone minor changes; the strain we’re observing seems better suited to our current environment — we’re conducting genetic tests to confirm this," he said to 7.30.
A roller coaster you can't halt
At his parents' place, Luke Bantoft is gradually recovering, though his journey back to health is far from straightforward.
"The virus has a peculiar effect. When I sit still, I feel alright, but once I start moving, it feels like I've turned into an 80-year-old man struggling with emphysema," he shared with 7.30.
I expend every ounce of my strength and each breath doing this, then I have to pause and struggle to catch my breath, trying to return to normal respiration.
I experience moments when I feel great, but they can suddenly drain all my energy within seconds, leaving me feeling awful for a few hours.
I rise slightly for a period, before descending again. It’s like being on a roller coaster, constantly fluctuating.
Part of Luke's recuperation involves having an extended intravenous line placed in his arm through which antibiotics are given every day to combat the bacterial infection. However, once this IV is taken out, he will continue taking antibiotics for at least the next three months.
He is cautioning those residing in the region to take preventive measures to steer clear of the illness.
“I believe there isn’t sufficient research and proof to understand the potential side effects post-diagnosis; I feel like I’m simply going along with whatever happens,” he stated.
The key is spreading awareness, perhaps informing others about its severity and encouraging them to take appropriate actions when gardening or cleaning; this includes wearing gloves and using masks—that’s all I can contribute.
"This is serious … take heed and be careful."
Watch 7.30 From Monday through Thursday at 7:30 PM ABC iview and ABC TV
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment