s
12 Expert Tricks Doctors Use to Stay Healthy While Traveling Down Under
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
After returning home from a holiday, travellers usually carry back neat keepsakes, precious recollections, and an expanded view of the globe. However, occasionally they might also arrive with a nasty cold, stomach troubles, or other health concerns.
It’s common to get sick When traveling, whether you develop symptoms during your journey or only feel unwell upon returning home, this result isn't necessarily unavoidable.
"You can presume that travelling will boost the chances of falling ill, and none of us want to catch an illness during our trip," he said. Dr. Henry M. Wu An associate professor at Emory University School of Medicine and the director of the Emory TravelWell Center said, "Taking additional precautions beyond our usual routine makes sense."
Here, Wu and other medical professionals reveal their go-to practices for staying healthy whenever they travel.
Wearing Masks at the Airport and on the Aircraft
"Even though COVID isn’t as big of a concern now compared to before, I continue to wear a mask during flights and at airports because I’m exposed to the same recycled air," he explained. Dr. Barbara Bawer , a family medicine doctor at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. "Based on your destination, it’s crucial to wear a mask in busy areas as well."
She recommended bringing along multiple masks to ensure you have a backup if one becomes dirty or damaged. Opting for high-grade masks such as N95s is advisable to minimize the spread of germs in busy indoor environments.
"I still regret the occasion when I spent an overnight train journey in France sitting opposite a couple who were constantly coughing and sneezing throughout the trip. The very next day, I came down with a terrible cold and ended up missing the grand 48-hour wedding celebration in the French countryside that I had travelled so far to be part of," he mentioned. Dr. Sarah Battistich , an emergency medicine specialist at NYU Langone Health’s Virtual Urgent Care program. "Currently, I regularly wear a mask during travel, regardless of whether there are visibly sick individuals present."
Facial coverings can provide protection through various means.
"The mask prevents you from using your hands to touch your nose and mouth," he stated. Dr. Heather Viola a general practitioner at Mount Sinai Doctors-Ansonia.
Regularly Cleaning and Disinfecting Hands
Primarily, I frequently sanitize my hands and keep hand sanitiser with at least 60% alcohol content handy to stop the transmission of germs," explained Viola. "A lot of airlines provide alcohol-based cleaning wipes upon boarding. I utilize these to wipe down my seat, headrest, armrests, tray table, and even the entertainment screen—pretty much everything you might come into contact with during your time seated.
Bringing your own alcohol-based sanitizing wipes can also come in handy.
“I am a big proponent obviously of hand washing,” Battistich said. “But also trying to limit touching of shared surfaces and therefore limit the risk of coming into contact with bacteria and viruses. I make a game out of it with my daughter to not touch any surface in public bathrooms, including doors and toilet seats.”
Staying Hydrated
“If I’m taking a long flight, try to start out well hydrated and avoid alcohol on the plane,” Battistich said.
Maintaining a healthy water intake was a priority for all the doctors who spoke to vtrik.
“I always travel with electrolytes ― packets of dissolvable electrolytes ― for water or vitamin water,” Viola said. “This is a good way to keep hydrated with more than just water and help prevent in-flight nausea or dehydration.”
Taking Immune System Boosters
Viola is also a fan of nasal mists and vitamin C tablets prior to boarding.
The airplane cabin has low humidity, allowing microbes to freely move around in the air. To prepare for flying, I pop some vitamin C pills to strengthen my immune system and assist my body in combating airborne pathogens," she explained. "Using a nasal saline spray or mist can aid in fighting germs because it keeps your nasal passageways hydrated, improving your natural ability to flush out these germs. Applying a little bit of Neosporin or petroleum jelly just inside the nostrils—using a cotton swab if your hands haven’t been cleaned—can act as an additional defense against airborne bacteria.
Avoiding Peak Travel Times
If feasible, aim to travel during off-peak hours, typically mid-week and around late morning or early afternoon, rather than super early or later in the day," advised Bawer. "That being said, this could vary depending on your specific location, so make sure to do some preliminary investigation.
Steering clear of large groups and the accompanying stress can help reduce your chances of coming into contact with germs. Usually, journeying during midday gives you the opportunity to get a complete night's rest either before or after your flight.
Prioritizing Rest
Ensure you get sufficient rest prior to your flight and, whenever possible, attempt to catch some sleep during travel when suitable," advised Bawer. "Upon coming back home, allow yourself time to readjust to your regular routine and surroundings. Avoid arriving late at night—around 11 p.m. or midnight—and immediately heading off to work the following morning. Instead, allocate a few hours—or ideally, a full day—to recuperate, tackle tasks like doing laundry or groceries, and make certain to get ample rest.
Tiredness can weaken your immune system, reduce your stamina, and adversely affect your mental state.
"I really love those collapsible travel pillows that provide neck support, and I've discovered that carrying earplugs along with an eye mask or scarf can significantly help block out light, making it easier to get some additional shut-eye—such as during that final stretch of a red-eye when the cabin crew switches on the overhead lights," Battistich explained.
Not Overscheduling
Similarly to how prioritizing sleep can aid your immune system, you should aim to minimize stress whenever feasible.
Don’t pack too many activities into your schedule; leave room for enjoyment and unexpected changes," Bawer suggested. "Stress can lead to illness, particularly when you're in an unfamiliar setting.
Eating A Well-Balanced Diet
Eat a nutritious and balanced diet before your trip to prepare both your body and immune system for potential challenges they might face," advised Bawer. "Even during travel, maintain this practice. Most individuals tend not to stick to healthier options when on vacation, so make an effort to include fruits and veggies in every meal to ensure your immunity stays robust.
She consistently carries nutritious snacks along with a reusable water bottle to make sure she obtains all necessary vitamins and minerals when traveling.
" frequently find ourselves without enough time for proper meals, particularly when flights are delayed or arrive tardy. As a result, we often miss out on eating entirely or settle for fast food options, which tend not to be nutritious," Bawer pointed out.
Investigating Travel Vaccinations and Medications
I ensure my vaccinations are current before traveling," Wu stated. "Both flu and COVID-19 are prevalent amongst tourists, and even a minor illness can spoil your journey. Additionally, when travelling internationally, extra vaccines may be advised or mandatory, not to mention malaria prevention measures for certain regions. I recommend that travellers consult the CDC’s travel webpage or visit a travel medicine specialist for guidance.
Aside from obtaining the required travel vaccinations before your trip, you might also consider acquiring specific medications beforehand.
Think about obtaining a prescription for anti-diarrheal medication when going to a foreign country where travelers' diarrhea might occur," Bawer suggested. "When visiting another nation, steer clear of consuming their tap water – this encompasses items rinsed with local water such as salads and fruits. Opt instead for dishes that come in shells and require no cleaning, and stick to bottled beverages. Use these same bottles for brushing your teeth too. These precautions can aid in preventing travelers' diarrhea.
Bringing an over-the-counter antidiarrheal medication such as Imodium is also advisable, particularly when traveling abroad.
"If I'm unsure about certain dishes, I generally opt for thoroughly cooked items that come served piping hot, steering clear of anything raw or underdone," Viola mentioned.
Staying Ahead with Sunscreen Safety
"Bewarn sunscreen every day," Bawer advised.
No matter if you're at home or on holiday, make sure to apply (and frequently reapply) a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 daily. It’s particularly crucial to stick to this sun safety routine when you expect to be outdoors extensively during your trips.
Sunburn and heat-related ailments are among the easiest issues to avoid ruining your holiday," Battistich stated. "Make sure you have sunscreens, loose-fitting long-sleeve tops — linen works wonderfully in warm weather — and wide-brimmed, collapsible hats. The larger and more foldable the hat, the better.
Buying Insect Repellent
If I'm heading for an outdoor adventure or traveling to tropical regions, I always bring insect repellent," Wu stated. "Mosquitoes, ticks, and other biting insects have the potential to spread numerous diseases.
Make sure your sunscreen meets the required standards. local regulations and review the CDC’s guidelines for approved effective products.
"It’s not always simple to locate these items spontaneously, so planning ahead of time will prevent me from being unprepared," Wu mentioned additionally.
Packing Medication
“I also bring over-the-counter medications that I will have on hand in case I start to feel unwell,” Viola said.
She includes acetaminophen for pain or fevers, ibuprofen for discomfort, an antihistamine such as Benadryl, and Pepto-Bismol for potential tummy troubles.
"My doctor’s travel kit contained preventive measures along with some emergency rescue medications," Battistich explained, enumerating similar drugs alongside anti-nausea treatments such as SeaBands, ginger packets, and aromatherapy sticks.
“She mentioned that there is proof suggesting the use of Pepto-Bismol tablets both prior to and throughout your journey may aid in lowering the risk of traveler’s diarrhea,” she said. “Additionally, I always include fundamental first-aid supplies such as bandages and antibacterial ointment. If traveling to a warm and moist environment, or engaging in activities like hiking and trekking, I usually pack an antifungal cream too.”
Related...
- There's A Reason You Frequently Fall Ill When Taking Breaks
- 10 Essentials That Pediatricians Always Bring in Their Bags for Their Children
- Ways to Prevent Catching a Cold While Flying
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment